Wednesday is BdC Lagniappe day, where I give some how-to information about mas. So here it is, how to make your social or political statement through mas:
1. Pick a theme to speak truth to power – read your newspapers, listen to the news on the radio, on tv, look around your community.
2. Make a slogan, joke or definitive statement that fits on a placard. It must be catchy, or funny, it must resonate with the audience you’re trying to reach. If you can embarrass the powerful taking advantage of the weak, if you can buck the status quo, even better.
3. Create a costume, preferably from elements already in your wardrobe, your friends’ wardrobes, the thrift store, recycled items. Wearing a mask is a great, traditional option, but is not totally necessary.
4. Make onlookers look, make them laugh, disturb them, offend their sensibilities, make them think.
5. Take your mas on the road, enjoy yuhself, remember your message.